Monday, November 2, 2015

Day 9: Teaching Around the World

I got to see some Parent Teacher conferences today. Well one. But I figured they were mostly all the same. I was surprised to find that they are not all that different than the parent teacher conferences in America. The only difference I could really find was that here the parents know the teacher already because their student has had the same teacher for a few years. That would be a great advantage.

As I have taught here, I have realized that it is difficult to use classroom management. Their philosophy regarding children is "kids will be kids" and so they let them do many things that we don't let our kids do. Most of those things I agree with, and others... well my kids wouldn't be doing those things. But this makes classroom management very different than in the States. I don't know how to get their attention or how to keep it or how to let them know when I am done teaching. The style of teaching is mostly the same in all of the classes. Lecture for a bit, then have the students do some group or individual work. In most of the classes that is how they teach.
However, there is one teacher who has some wonderful ideas! Today the kids went out onto the football (soccer) field for Math. The teacher put 25 sheets of paper across the entire field. The kids rolled a dice then when to the paper of the number they rolled. They had to answer a three digit subtraction problem then run back to the teacher and tell her the answer. If they got it right they got to roll the dice again, this time adding the first dice number to this second. The first pair to 25 won the game. The kids loved it and they didn't even realize they were learning.

I have noticed that as far as the Utah Core is concerned, I am right in line with NL.IL. Actually until recently, I didn't even know World Languages was part of the Core. That is a really cool aspect of the core I didn't know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment