Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 10: Songs!

I got some cool insight today. There is a Norwegian Student Teacher here who is in her second year of university. She said that in every year there are 2 weeks of observation before Christmas and 4 weeks of teaching after Christmas. I thought that was rather brilliant. She is working on her bachelor's degree and when she is done (in 5 years, but only because she is going part-time) she will be able to go right into teaching!

The students 4th grade and under at my school have been learning some songs for the Christmas program (which I will miss by ONE DAY!!!!!) But I got the music for the songs so that I can learn how to sing them with the kids!
Here are the songs.
Lille Måltrost

Skippervise

Blåklokkevikua

Julekveldsvise

Musenes Morgensang
(This one is a link because I couldn't find a video.)

Having the students learn songs like these follow the Utah Core music section, standard 1, objective one.

As I was talking to my mom last night we discussed how there are not a lot of books here. That got us thinking about the literacy rate. From what I can find online (which isn't all the reliable at the moment) Norway has a 99%+ literacy rate by the age students are 15. Some places say 100%. Either way, that is super high! I wanted to compare that to the poverty rate, but according to CIA World Factbook their poverty rate is NA or unavailable. However they only have 3.5% of their population unemployed. I compared this to the USA. We have 15.1% of our population under the poverty line, a 6.2% unemployment rate, and our literacy rate is 97.5%. Overall, not too bad. But wouldn't it be grate if everyone could read? At least read enough to be able to shop at the grocery store, cause I am here to tell you that I know how hard it is to shop at the grocery store when you can't read anything there!

No comments:

Post a Comment