Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 13: Sing A Little Song

Music today. And that was wonderful!
I got to teach music with the 4th and 5th graders.
For the 5th graders I was trying to teach them ordinal numbers and so we learned the song " I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly" and then went through what she swallowed first, second, third, and so on. I think they enjoyed the song but it did get a little monotonous after a while. And my lesson did not take up the entire time. Thankfully, I already had some other lessons planned and was able to use those to fill up the time. I am often thankful that I am good a thinking on my feet so that when things like this happen I can just take it in stride.
Then I got to teach 4th grade music. We learned some fabulous songs such as John Jacob Jingleheimer Shmidt, Turtle Tim (I had a tiny turtle), and There's a Hole in the Bucket. For John Jacob Jingleheimer Shmidt I had to tell them to say "SHHHHMIDT" other wise they said it all silly. They enjoyed the hand motions I used for the Turtle Tim song. For me it was hilarious to watch their frustration as we learned There's a Hole in the Bucket. Each time I pulled up a new slide they had an audible sigh and I just smiled. That song is ridiculously long, but fabulous.
Back to 5th grade for the 4th lesson. I watched them dance to a song that they were getting ready to do with the whole school and after they had done it twice the teacher turned to me. "Do you have anything you would like to teach them?" Seeing as I had just finished teaching the 4th graders, I was excited to teach them some of the same songs.
They loved learning the Turtle Tim song and If All The Raindrops. But I think their favorite song was Da Moose Da Moose. When I got to the end of the song and it says "he decomposed" I had to explain what decomposed meant, but after that they all started laughing. I thought it was fabulous to see them singing. A full day of music always makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment