Monday, November 23, 2015

Day 23: An Awesome Math Idea

I got to see the end of a really cool math lesson. The teacher had the students write 6x1 = 6 and then do all of the 6 times tables up until 12. Then the students wrote over that in marker before cutting the answers off of the paper, but leaving a small piece at the top attached. She showed the students that they could then roll up the answers to test themselves on the times tables. She did tell them that they had to say the entire problem, not just the answer. "six times one is six." I thought it was genius. I may use that for my students in the future.

I also got to teach 6th grade English for the first time today. It was really fun. We learned the noun song and the verb rap. We also talked a little bit about adjectives. The students loved learning the songs and I enjoyed helping them refresh their memories.

I haven't ever really put my schedule up here. That could be something interesting to know.
Monday: Plan, Assessment, 6th grade English, 3rd grade English, 7th grade English.
Tuesday: 4th Math, 5th English, 5th Study Hour, 4th P.E.
Wednesday: Plan, 4th English, 4th Arts and Crafts
Thursday: 4th Math, 4th English, 4th Social Studies, 5th Arts and Crafts
Friday: Plan, 5th English, 7th Arts and Crafts/5th Music/2nd P.E., 6th Music/5th P.E.

I love going into the 3rd grade classroom. The students there want to talk to me and they try so hard. And we both get frustrated at the lack of communication, but neither of us give up. It is a wonderful feeling. Both the students and I enjoy each other's company even though we can't talk to each other very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment